Sunday, April 11, 2010

Happy and Sad...

Well, I really should be sleeping, but I can’t stop thinking that I really I hope the work I do over here pays off in the end. I have been on a few convoys since I arrived and have seen glimpses of how the Afghan people live, work, drive, walk, play, and just get though life. Today, I was the convoy commander on a trip which got two of my folks off on their return trips home. I was happy and sad to see them off. I get the same feeling every time I convoy. I am happy when I see the children going to school, or playing, or giving us a thumbs-up as we drive by, but I am also sad when I see the conditions in which most Afghans have to live. This place has certainly seen its share of hard times and deserves the best we can give to make it better! While I am frustrated with living conditions, I do see some of our successes. I love it when I see the traffic police directing traffic. Yes, I know this seems like a no brainer, but here very few people follow any basic driving rules and when I see the police turning around the cars going the wrong way down a street, I see a little progress. The same is true when I see them controlling traffic at the traffic circles. When I got here it was a 100% free for all. Now, I think it is only 80%...now that is some progress. I love it when I see the Afghan National Police (ANP) and the Afghan National Army (ANA) manning checkpoints together. This is progress since the ANP and the ANA do things differently and don’t tend to get along too well. This little progress tells me that we are inching forward. Of course, I am also frustrated when the ANA or the ANP force their way through traffic blaring their sirens when there really isn’t an emergency for them to get too. While they may be making progress on the drive home or to dinner, it is not the progress they need.

Over the next 120 plus days, I hope I continue to see the inches of progress forward. If I do, then I really think my time here will have been successful. If I don’t, well there is always next tour…

2 comments:

  1. It is great to hear your comments on Afghanistan....here we have no real idea what it is like on the ground there. Glad to know they are making progress, as you said the country has been downtrodden for years.

    Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I had some idea of the hardships the Afghanistan People suffer on a daily basis based on what we see here at home on tv. Then I read your blog. My heart aches for the people of Afghanistan and anyone else in the world who must endure such hardships just to live life everyday. I am so proud of you my brother and all of our Service Men and Women who are in the fight to make our world a better place for all mankind. From this day forward I will make a conscientious effort everyday to take a moment and give thought to all of you and what you are sacrificing for all people. I know you and all of our troops have made a difference. You made a difference the day you joined the fight to make our world a peaceful place for all mankind. I know I don't say it enough...thank you.

    ReplyDelete